- Posted June 9, 2014 by
Media coverage of scam trial in Phl sought
Cayetano said real-time coverage of the court proceedings at the Sandiganbayan (graft court) will allow the Filipino people to render their own judgment on government officials involved in the scam, including three of their elected senators.
Plunder charges on Friday were against Senators Juan Ponce, Ramon Revilla Jr. and Jinggoy Estrada.
The senator also backed the request of Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales for the SC to designate at least two special divisions in the Sandiganbayan to exclusively try the pork barrel cases.
Cayetano noted the magnitude of the pork scam trial considering that only three senators, Janet Lim-Napoles, and five other personalities have so far been accused of plunder before the Sandiganbayan.
He said that the pork scam controversy should be considered case closed within 500 days before the change of administration in 2016.
Cayetano stressed that a swift trial would also benefit Senators Jinggoy Estrada, Juan Ponce Enrile, and Ramon "Bong" Revilla Jr, who all claimed innocence and had nothing to do with the plunder of the people's money.