- Posted June 11, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Taiwanese behind open-pit mining in Phl?
Rep. Florencio Garay said he is now seeking a congressional investigation into the alleged mining environmentally-destructive open-pit mining in Tambis Village, municipality of Barobo, Surigao del Sur province.
In House Resolution 1131, Garay pointed out that the unabated gold mining operations are reportedly taking place just 200 meters from the national highway, Tambis Village.
"I am seeking this open inquiry by the Committee on Natural Resources in consonance with the Section 16, Article II of the Constitution which mandates that the State shall protect and advance the right of the people to a balanced and healthful ecology in accord with the rhythm and harmony of nature," Garay said.
Relative to this, Garay also cited Section 2 of R.A. 7942 entitled, "An Act Instituting a New System of Mineral Resources Exploration, Development, Utilization, and Conservation" (Philippine Mining Act of 1995) which declared that it is the responsibility of the State to promote the rational exploration, development, utilization and conservation of all mineral resources in a way that effectively safeguards the environment and protect the rights of affected communities.
"The reported ongoing mining operations have resulted in several excavations and turned vast tracts of farmlands in the gold-rich village of Barangay Tambis into what looked like craters the size of coliseums," he lamented.