- Posted June 24, 2014 by
- Thai food chain plans 500 quick-service restaurants for Australia
- Saudi Arabia to lobby Thai King on Diplomat murder case
- US shames Malaysia, Thailand for trafficking
- US demotes Thailand and Qatar for abysmal human trafficking records
- U.S. Gives Thailand and Malaysia Lowest Grade on Human Trafficking
EU Cancels Visits, Halts Deal to Protest Thai Coup
The EU said Monday it is putting on hold the signing of an agreement to deepen political and business ties with Thailand "until a democratically elected government is in place."
The 28-nation bloc's foreign ministers are urging the coup leaders to enable a swift return to democracy through fair elections, abolish censorship and free all political prisoners.
The EU is warning it will keep all cooperation under review for now "and will consider further possible measures" depending on how the situation in Thailand unfolds.
The bloc has also canceled a negotiation round on a free trade agreement with Thailand initially planned for July, and suspended all further talks.
by Ping Vee