- Posted June 24, 2014 by
Brooklyn, New York
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Photo essays: Your stories in pictures
- Glen Cove Hospital in the city where I live is preparing a state of art center for Ebola Treatment..
- Community Garden in Coney Island raises H--- at Halloween!
- Chocolate Coffin Anyone? For Halloween?
- "It's Your Holiday!" The story of Midnite and Chirpee Girl..
- Need a haircut? This is the guy to go to..He Kutz Wit Skillz!
Cars and floats and Mayor de Blasio-Coney Island Mermaid Parade..
Dick Zigun, the coordinator of the parade for over 25 years is a Yale graduate and calls it a potpourri of hi and lo cultures. He participates and lectures at a number of artistic NYC institutions. Many of the cars belong to the Bensonhurst Muscle Car club, that goes way back..
I put Mayor de Blasio in my second picture because I think it was very cool of him and his family to support and participate in the parade by dressing up and being good sports.. His kids had on all the make-up and his wife a lovely mermaid type gown. He was a pirate..
The last picture is of Dick Zigun, the parade organizer. He also runs the sideshow and leads the Coney Island events.
The work that he does is important because it is upholds a historic, artistic, nostalgic landmark destination that could be taken down or misused if we aren't careful. But it is making a comeback..
June 24, 2014
Photos by Linda Glovach.