- Posted June 29, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Muslim Filipinos observe Ramadan
"My warmest greetings to the Muslim Filipino community as you celebrate the start of the Fasting Month of Ramadan and 29th Day of Sha’aban 1435H," he said in a message read by Presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda.
Ramadan is a sacred period of reflection and worship, the President said noting it as an opportunity for the Muslim community to reinforce their discipline, self-control, and compassion as values that are integral to the tenets of Islam and self development.
He said he hopes Ramadan strengthens the Muslim faith and inspire Muslims to deepen their commitment to fulfilling shared vision of lasting, equitable progress.
"The Philippines continues to grow more robust as our communities make their diversity a source of strength, open themselves up to new insights, and welcome each other as one people," he said.
"May the blessed teachings of the Holy Qur’an guide you in this time of fasting and prayer, and allow you to contribute more passionately towards building a better future for our countrymen."
Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar. Muslims worldwide observe this as a month of fasting.
This annual observance, which lasts 29-30 days based on the visual sighting of the crescent moon, is regarded as one of the Five Pillars of Islam.
The word Ramadan comes from the Arabic root ramida or ar-ramad, which means scorching heat or dryness.