- Posted June 30, 2014 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Who taught you to love food?
Many lentils’ recipes you can find in Internet and they are so good, specially those with the touch of “chorizo” a kind of sausage from Spain.
Indian vegetarian lentils are extraordinaire as well. I love them!
This recipe does not have meet, I do not sauté the grain and it is not spicy. It is very simple and healthy. The others are too , but mine is so easy to prepare and delicious that I invite you to start preparing lentils this way and then, you can make so many different ones, but just try this one.
* 1 bag of lentils (Goya is the brand I buy).
* 8 cups of water or the double of lentils (The amount of water may vary depending of the grain, maybe you have to add more water if they turn to be hard.)
* 1 ½ cups of carrots cut in pieces
* ½ onion and ½ green pepper (you can remove when serving, I do not because I eat everything , but I understand that there are many that don’t, specially children do not like to see onions, it is just for the flavor).
* 1 ½ spoon of salt.
* ½ spoon or more of curry (optional).
* ½ spoon of garlic.
* 1 full small spoon of cummin (This is not optional in my recipes with all kinds of grains.
* Wash the lentils.
* Soak the lentils for one hour minimum in water.
* Drain the lentils and put them in a deep pot.
* Add the water.
* Add the carrots.
* Add all the other ingredients (salt, garlic, curry, cummin, onion and green pepper.) except the cilantro.
* Start cooking until boiling.
* Wait from ½ an hour or until they are ready, taste and add cilantro, all depend how you like food.
* Wait 5 more minutes.
And voila! Your lentils are ready.
I add white rice, but can be brown or none.
Happy healthy and simple soup!