- Posted June 30, 2014 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Travel photo of the day
- What could have been done differently on the Germanwings plane that did not land safely in Dusseldorf, Germany?
- Tribute on Down syndrome day to a 6 year old child who drowned in scenic Harrod's Creek, Louisville, KY over the weekend
- Heard of Herd Immunity? May be a reason how Nature is working to slow the deaths due to Ebola virus infection
- One of Kentucky's finest sons, Senator Wendell Ford eulogized under the rotunda of the state capitol building in Frankfort, KY
- I AM NOT CHARLIE:Freedom of speech should be expressed responsibly and truthfully and with malice to none
Canada day, a time to celebrate our close ties and friendship with our northern neighbor
Having lived in Canada for 5 years as a graduate student and lived in the USA for close to half my life, I have crossed the longest undefended border between USA and Canada at least 25 times. My most recent trip to the Northwest and crossing the border from Washington state into British Columbia and returning back a few days ago was heartwarming when I saw this monument in (images 1 and 2) with the Canadian and American flags with the inscription "BRETHERN DWELLING TOGETHER IN UNITY". In a world full of conflict between neighbors, the juxtaposition of two large countries living in peace, mutual respect and no conflict stands out as an outstanding model to the countries of the world. There are a handful of differences that characterize the two countries individually but the overall values are the same. Canada and USA are trusted partners on the world scene and Canadians contribute to all spheres of American and human endeavor. God certainly has blessed the USA with a great northern neighbor who at times leads or tries to lead the USA in the right direction. Canada's refusal to join the invasion of Iraq is one such example. All in all Canada is not just a wonderful and diverse place to visit but it is also a place that may not make the news on US media but is a silent neighbor ready to assist when the need arises. Happy Canada day, July 01, 2014 to all Canadian bretherns dwelling together in unity with Americans.