- Posted July 12, 2014 by
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
10 Reasons You Want to Be a Published Author
You may be thinking that you are not a good writer, it will take too long, or I have no idea what I'd write about. Or perhaps your business is local and clients come to you. You do not have an online reach or audience.
There are certain advantages every published author enjoys – whether you run a local business, have an online reach, or both.
Here are 10 reasons you want to be a published author.
1. You become an accredited instant expert. Being a published author provides a major shortcut in reputation-building and industry credibility.
2. It increases promotional opportunities. This is true both locally and online. Launching a book gives you instant opportunities to:
Send out press releases (locally, nationally and online)
Hold local book-signings – at your store or (if you’re a service-based business), at workshops and local business events.
Conduct workshops (and you can sell copies of your book at the end of these, if you’ve created physical copies – or even CDs or DVDs created from the content)
Become a desirable guest author or columnist for local and online publications
Become a desirable guest for local TV and radio programs
3. You become a local celebrity. With all these promotion opportunities, you stand a good chance of increasing your visibility in your community.
4. Being an author brings you to the attention of pre-qualified customers or clients. It is not just that you can “get more clients” with more visibility, thanks to your book: Being more in demand allows you to…
Raise your prices to suit your market, as well as your needs
Create new business opportunities (for example, you could add workshops to your local service business mix)
Receive networking invitations – as a guest, presenter or even guest speaker at prominent local events
5. Increase your brand exposure. Your photo, logo, colors and graphics will be highly visible as a published author. Becoming an “instant expert” in a narrow niche will help brand you in people’s minds as the go-to business for your specific area of expertise.
6. Become eligible for local, national, international and online awards. Even though you may never want to list your award simply as a brag-fest, there is no doubt that winning awards simply fortifies your rock-solid reputation and propels you towards the head of the pack, especially in your local market. Any award is still an award. It lets people know that someone thought you and your business are the best in your field!
7. Builds your confidence. Have you ever stood in front of a client; or in front of a meeting or workshop audience; and thought: “Why would they ever want to listen to me?” If you have, you will especially appreciate this particular benefit. Think of the 95% of your competitors who have never even so much as published an original article, and knowing that you are holding in your hand (or displaying on the screen behind you) something others only dream about achieving will automatically boost your confidence – and help you capture your audience, with assurance.
8. Facilitates the gathering of customer/client reviews and recommendations. If your business strives for excellence, caters exclusively to its target customer or client, and focuses on top customer service, this is one of your most powerful benefits of all. A customer selling you to other customers, or a client selling you to other clients is the most powerful promotion of all: one which no advertising can replace, if you are looking to build a stable of loyal, repeat customers or clients.
9.Realize a great return on investment. You don’t have to spend thousands on advertising dollars. In fact, if you produce your book mostly or entirely by yourself (which is not hard), you can reap financial benefits for a small investment investment. The types of returns are:
More customers – Ready to buy what you’re selling
More clients – So you can be more choosy, and pick good clients who are willing to pay more
Paid opportunities – invitations to be keynote speaker at local and national business or industry events
Commanding a higher fee for those paid opportunities – as well as for teaching classes, or holding workshops or other events
Commanding a higher price for your specialty, “signature” product
10. Increases viral growth. Your business stands a good chance of becoming the latest “buzz”, appearing in local media and being recommended on social networks or by word-of-mouth.
Position yourself properly to receive these 10 benefits as part of your small business marketing strategy, and you will be miles ahead not only of your local competition, but of other entrepreneurs and business owners in your area of expertise.