About this iReport
  • Approved for CNN

  • Click to view JoelGraham's profile
    Posted July 24, 2014 by
    Brooklyn, New York

    More from JoelGraham

    Family and friends mourn Eric Garner who died during NYPD chokehold incident


    CNN PRODUCER NOTE     A mournful crowd gathered in front of Bethel Baptist Church in Brooklyn to remember Eric Garner, a Staten Island man who died after an alleged chokehold by NYPD officers. Photographer Joel Graham was at the funeral on July 23 and captured some images from the scene. Various local political leaders, activists and friends and family members of the victim attended the funeral. Rev. Al Sharpton came as well and addressed the press, promising justice for Garner's family, Graham explained.

    Read more about the story on CNN.com.
    - Jareen, CNN iReport producer

    Family and friends gathered to mourn the death of Eric Garner who died last week in a "chokehold" incident while being detained by the NYPD. The emotional service was held on a hot, humid evening in Brooklyn at the Bethel Baptist Church.


    Various local political leaders, activists and clergy attended the funeral. Most chatted quietly outside as they waited for the service to begin. Rev. Al Sharpton, who has been publicly and privately supportive to the family since the incident took place, arrived at 7:20 but took a few minutes to talk to the press. He promised justice for Garner and stated that this case and others like it will be diligently monitored and pursued and that Garner's family will meet with the U.S. Attorney's Civil Rights Division this week.


    Garner died after being detained for selling untaxed cigarettes on the streets of Staten Island. A member of the NYPD applied a chokehold as officers forced Garner down onto the sidewalk after protesting that he was tired of NYPD harassment. On a video he can be heard saying, "It ends today!" The officer grabbed Garner from behind to subdue him though it appears Garner offered little resistance. Garner can be seen putting his hands up and palms out to communicate that he was not resisting. On the ground, Garner pleaded that he could not breathe and allegedly went into cardiac arrest on his way to the hospital.


    Video appears to show that the NYPD and the EMTs on the scene provided little, if any, medical care for Garner as he lay motionless on the sidewalk. He was finally put on a stretcher, still handcuffed, and brought to a hospital. The police officer and the EMTs have been suspended pending investigations.

    Add your Story Add your Story