- Posted July 25, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Philippine senator suspended for 90 days
"Accused Juan Ponce Enrile is hereby suspended from his position as senator of the Republic of the Philippines and from any other public office that he may now or hereafter be holding for a period of 90 days from receipt of this resolution unless a motion for reconsideration is reasonably filed," the order of the graft court said. Sandiganbayan Third Division executive clerk of court Dennis Pulma told reporters in an interview that they will send a copy of the Sandiganbayan order to the Office of the Senate President.
Pulma said the court needs to be notified on the date of the effectivity of the suspension which will be automatically lifted after 90 days.
Enrile, who is accused of amassing P172 million in pork barrel kickbacks, is facing one count of plunder and 15 counts of graft before the Sandiganbayan.
The prosecution admitted that Enrile's suspension may be unkind as raised by lawyer Estelito Mendoza, but it still needs to be ordered by the court to prevent the senator from using his position to influence the case.