- Posted July 26, 2014 by
New York, New York
This iReport is part of an assignment:
New violence in Israel and West Bank
- Rev. Sharpton and marchers rally for Eric Garner yesterday in NY
- Thousands of pro-Palestine supporters march through streets of New York City
- Thousands attend New York pro-Israel rally
- Family and friends mourn Eric Garner who died during NYPD chokehold incident
- Protesters call for peace after man dies while being detained by NYPD.
Pro-Palestine protest in Times Square
- hhanks, CNN iReport producer
Approximately 1000 protestors gathered in Times Square late Friday afternoon calling for an immediate end to deadly violence in the Gaza Strip. Those attending identified themselves as Palestinian-Americans and American Muslims who have family and friends living in the war-torn Middle East. Entire families attended the demonstration on 42nd Street.
Speakers addressed broader issues as well, accusing Israel of war crimes and calling for an end to US aid. They waved flags and held emotionally charged photos of children who have died during the ongoing Israeli assault on Gaza.
The demonstrators left Times Square and marched to the Israeli Consulate near the UN where they chanted "Free Palestine" and "Stop the killing, stop the war!"
The protestors were peaceful but there were several tense moments in front of the Consulate as passersby confronted them and accused them of supporting terrorism.
The protest was part of the International Day of Al-Quds and ended peacefully at 9:00 pm.