- Posted July 28, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Phl to intensify poverty reduction program
Poverty reduction was among the key issues discussed by President Aquino in his 5th State of the Nation Address at the Batasang Pambansa in Quezon City on Monday.
Aquino said the P12.3-billion expanded CCT program aims to cover beneficiaries and help their children, aged up to 18 years old, complete their secondary education to give them better job opportunities.
Poverty incidence in the country has decreased by at least three percentage points in the past two years, according to the National Economic Development Authority, from 27.9 percent during the first quarter of 2012 to 24.9 percent in the same period of 2013.
President Aquino attributed this drop to the CCT program, which is implemented by the Department of Social Welfare and Development, saying that his government will continue investing on its people through this particular measure.
He said that a sound fiscal management carried out by his administration, beginning with the timely submission of the national budget that only focuses on the needs of the people every year, also helped the government achieve this goal.
The CCT, otherwise known as “Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program”, currently operates in 79 provinces, covering 1,484 municipalities and 143 cities in all 17 regions nationwide. It has 4,090,667 registered households nationwide as of last June 25.