Share this on:
 E-mail
7
VIEWS
0
COMMENTS
 
SHARES
About this iReport
  • Not verified by CNN

  • Click to view unclaimed's profile
    Posted July 29, 2014 by
    unclaimed

    More from unclaimed

    16 people die in Aba after inhaling generator carbon monoxide at church service

     

    ABOUT 16 people died over the weekend from suffocation while attending a church service in Aba after fumes from the church's generation set choked them to death and left 15 others critically injured.   Nigeria is the world's largest importer of medium sized generators and the seconds largest purchaser of  large generators behind Saudi Arabia. Due to incessant epileptic power supply, such generators are required to power everything, including private homes, churches, mosques, schools, hospital and even government offices.   Unlike in Saudi Arabia where these generator plants are located in industrial sites in the middle of the desert, in Nigeria, the generators are in residential areas. It is not uncommon across Nigeria to see houses with up to 10 tenants engulfed with noise and fume pollution as each of the occupant runs his or her generator.   This is what led to the tragedy in Aba, as the worshippers suffocated after they allegedly inhaled generator fume at an inter-denominational fellowship. At the event organised by the Young Peoples Christian Fellowship in Aba, Abia State, it is believed that 16 persons died inside the hall, while 15 suffered respiratory illnesses were in various hospitals receiving medical attention.   One six year-old boy was reported to have been declared dead even before police could gain entrance into the scene of incident. However, those injured are said to be responding well to treatment, with 11 persons currently receiving medical attention at Austine Grace Hospital while four are on admission at the Goodness and Mercies Hospital on Faulks Road, Aba.   Dr Mark Iwuagwu, a medical doctor at one of the hospitals where the victims were rushed to for medical attention attributed their illnesses to negligence. He added that they suffered carbon monoxide poison, which they inhaled from a generator outside the hall where the service was being hosted.

    • TAGS:

    What do you think of this story?

    Select one of the options below. Your feedback will help tell CNN producers what to do with this iReport. If you'd like, you can explain your choice in the comments below.
    Be and editor! Choose an option below:
      Awesome! Put this on TV! Almost! Needs work. This submission violates iReport's community guidelines.

    Comments

    Log in to comment

    iReport welcomes a lively discussion, so comments on iReports are not pre-screened before they post. See the iReport community guidelines for details about content that is not welcome on iReport.

    Add your Story Add your Story