- Posted July 30, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Manila reports 494 new HIV cases in June
The DOH report said this brought to a total 2,814 cases this year, with 66 deaths.
The DOH’s latest HIV and AIDS Registry showed that from 1984 to 2014, there were 19,330 HIV positive cases, of which 17,564 (91 percent) were asymptomatic and 1,766 (nine percent) were AIDS cases.
The age groups with most number of cases were between 25 to 29 years old.
Of the 19,330 cases, almost half or 8,807 came from the National Capital Region; 13 percent (2,391) from Region 4-A; nine percent (1,714) from Region 7; eight percent (1,515) from Region 3; six percent (1,109) from Region 11; and 15 percent (2,657) from the rest of the country.
The report said sexual contact, needle-sharing among injecting drug users, and males having sex with other males were the predominant type of sexual transmission.
The DOH also reported 318 HIV positive on OFWs (overseas Filipino workers) in 2014, which brought to 2,956 the HIV positive OFWs since 1984.
As of June 2014, there were 6,935 people living with HIV presently on anti-retroviral therapy. These are the combined numbers of adult and pediatric patients currently and assessing antiretroviral drugs in 18 treatment hubs in the country.