- Posted July 31, 2014 by
Filipino nurse abducted, raped in Libya
“The Filipina was abducted Wednesday morning (Tripoli time) in front of her residence by four Libyan youth and taken somewhere,” DFA spokesman Charles Jose said in a statement.
She was released hours later after allegedly being raped by six Libyan men.
“A Philippine embassy consular team took her to hospital for medical checkup. She is now under the care of the embassy,” Jose said.
This is the second incident of violence committed on a Filipino national in a span of one month. The first victim was a construction worker who was beheaded by militants for being non-Muslim.
Filipino workers in Libya, estimated at 13,000, are being asked by the Philippine government to leave immediately, citing high security risks.
“The Philippine government will shoulder the repatriation costs,” a separate DFA statement said.
In Malacañang Palace, Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma, Jr. said the Philippine government condemned the assault, adding that the DFA is continuing the repatriation of Filipino citizens in Libya.
Coloma also said the department has already chartered a ship to evacuate Filipinos out of the conflict zone.
The DFA on Monday relocated non-core staff of the Philippine Embassy from Tripoli to Tunisia, while staff dependents were repatriated last week.