- Posted August 3, 2014 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
The lure of lighthouses
The six seasons of the Brant Point Lighthouse Nantucket Island
The Brant Point Light House is one of three lighthouses located on Nantucket. The Brant Point Lighthouse was established in 1746 but was not automated until 1965. Currently still in operation the lighthouse and her beach has become a popular destination for visitors. The lighthouse is located near town and is adjacent to the Nantucket Coast Guard Station. Both passenger ferries and all boats arriving into the Nantucket Harbor and Boat Basin are overseen by the lighthouse. October 28th, 1987 the current tower was added to the National register of Historic Places. Further, “The Brant Point Light House has the distinction of being the tenth light on the point, in addition to several range lights. Four of the others burned or blew down, two were condemned, two were unsatisfactory, and the remaining one stands unused (Wikipedia, 2014)”. The Brant Point Lighthouse continues to be a symbol of Nantucket and is ever present in family and wedding photos, as she looks over visitors who are arriving and departing her waters. A common tradition is to throw two pennies when passing the light house on the ferry leaving Nantucket. One penny is for luck and the other is to bring you back to Nantucket.
Wikipedia.2014.Brant Point Light House Nantucket, http://en.wikipidia.org/wiki/Brant_Point_Light