- Posted August 4, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Phl firm to repatriate Filipinos from Libya
“For those who find themselves in a very, very dangerous situation, in a very perilous situation, the government would certainly want them to come home safely,” Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda told reporters during a press briefing in Malacañang.
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) reported that some 831 Filipinos have returned from Libya as of August 3.
Lacierda, however, noted that there are a number of reasons why some Filipinos in Libya refuse to come home.
“For instance, a number of them are already married to Libyan nationals. So, it’s difficult to divide a family in a situation like that,” he explained.
For those who fear facing unemployment when they return, Lacierda said the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) could help them find new jobs here and abroad.
“It has happened to us. If you recall, in our row with Taiwan, we were already looking at other countries that would like to absorb our OFWs. And for instance, in Batangas, there was a company called (AG&P), which absorbed a number of OFWs to their fold,” he said.
He said the government is trying to contact the OFWs by coordinating with the Filipino community in Libya as well as their relatives in the Philippines.