- Posted August 4, 2014 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
The written word: Your personal essays
- Understanding The Work At Height Regulations 2005
- Tech Talk: Using The Internet As An Effective Business Solution
- An “Aha” Weight-Loss Moment: Tips From A Fashion Stylist To Help You Look Slimmer
- Understanding Accelerated Nursing Programs Better
- Some Must-Knows About Choosing The Best Office Space Solution
How To Avoid Being A Kidnap And Ransom Victim In A Foreign Country
Newcomers in foreign lands have always been the “favourite” targets of unscrupulous people who wish to earn money by kidnapping persons who they think have money. Whether you are a tourist, expat worker or an entrepreneur who wish to invest in a foreign country, you need to be extra careful since you may be the target of kidnap and ransom groups, which unfortunately, are abundant in many countries.
Some Tips To Avoid Being Kidnapped Or Abducted In A Foreign Country
If you are planning on investing and staying in a particular country or place that is well-known for high incidences in kidnap-for-ransom situations for quite a long time, it is best that you be extra careful and quite vigilant to avoid being a victim of such crimes. Below are some tips you should consider following to avoid falling into the trap of terrifying kidnapping-for-ransom groups.
1. Avoid wearing extravagant and excessive jewelries and clothes and using accessories that are flashy as well. Avoid painting a target on yourself by adopting a simpler lifestyle while you are abroad. If possible, try to blend in with the locals. Kidnap-for-ransom criminals always target persons who they think are “rich” or have families who can meet or give their monetary demands when they are abducted.
2. Vary your daily routine. You may be taking the same route from your hotel or wherever you are staying to the building or office you need to go to everyday. And you also have your breakfast, lunch and dinner in the same restaurants everyday as well. These regular daily routines will however help any potential kidnappers plan your abduction easily. As such, change your routines every day. Vary the times you leave your hotel, when and where you have your meals and the time when you go back to the place where you are staying. Include in other activities from time to time in your daily routine as well. Doing so will confuse the would-be kidnappers and give them a harder time in finding an “opening” or an opportunity to abduct you.
3. If you are driving your own car, make sure that is always well-maintained and that the gas tank is always full. You don’t want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere or in some place that you are not familiar with so you need to make sure that your car is always in good running condition. In addition, always keep your car doors locked and your mobile phone in a place where it is easily accessible.
4. Have a GPS-capable mobile phone. Most cell phones have this capability anyway. In the unfortunate situation that you are kidnapped, you can be located through the process of pinging or triangulation.
These tips are some of the basic ones you should follow to avoid being a target kidnapping victim. You can read more other helpful tips by visiting this site.