About this iReport
  • Not verified by CNN

  • Click to view Waterbug's profile
    Posted August 6, 2014 by
    Atlanta, Georgia

    More from Waterbug

    Back from the Dead

    M name is Madelene Eayrs and I simply have to share the miracle that happened in our family. It is not often that something this extraordinary happens, and if it can happen in our family, it can happen to yours too!
    About three weeks ago my parents shared the bad news that my dad's dog had passed away. It had become very sick and the vet wasn't very optimistic that the dog would get better or have a good quality of life for the little time it had left on earth.
    My dad was heartbroken. The dog had a special place in his heart and life. I still remember when my dad bought the dog. He did a lot of research on what kind of dog he wanted, before he settled on an Australian Sheepdog. He ordered the dog and had to make a long trip to get him. He named him “Tracker” and he followed my dad everywhere.
    My dad lives a very active life, even at the age of almost 77. He farms with cattle, sheep and he manages and owns the Waenhuis Guest House close to Fochville, South Africa. At the end of the day, when he finally gets to sit down and watch the news on TV, Tracker would be so possessive of him that he would go and sit on his lap - and he wasn't the smallest dog around!
    So when they shared the news that Tracker had passed away, I felt the severity of their loss! The vet, Dr Van der Nest in Fochville, would do the euthanizing and would take care of Trackers body. So it was that with a heavy heart my dad left his best friend’s side.
    That was three weeks ago. Yesterday, my parents had a knock on the door and there stood Dr Van der Nest with tears in his eyes. Unbeknownst to my dad, Dr Van der Nest couldn't get himself to put the dog down. Instead, he wanted to see if he could do something for Tracker. He had not wanted to tell my dad this, just in case there was nothing he could do and his original prognosis stood. When he operated on Tracker, he saw that the problem was not at all what he had suspected originally. Tracker's bladder was filled with crystals which had prevented him from urinating. This was what had caused all the problems. He removed all the crystals and nursed Tracker back to health - all without a single word to my parents.
    Then came the day when Tracker was well enough to go back home to be with his best friend. I can just imagine how wonderful it must have been for Dr Van Der Nest to make this trip! After all, he was bringing my dad a gift that money couldn't buy! My dad was immediately in tears when he saw Tracker and I was in tears when I heard this story from my parents on Skype. I am so happy that Tracker is back home and I am so thankful to Dr Van Der Nest for his compassion and care...not only of the animals he treats but of their best friends who love and value them!
    Add your Story Add your Story