- Posted August 8, 2014 by
New York, New York
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Photo essays: Your stories in pictures
- Content deleted by user due to technical issues with media files.
- Blizzard Coverage by the Cortlandt Manor Mega Action Dual Plunger Weather Team - Part One
- A Man, His Son, a Blizzard, and 2 Toilet Plungers
- Conversations with Bill Clinton (the puppy)
- Cortlandt Manor, NY Cortlandt Manor Winter Games: Hot. Stew. Mine.
During the past few years, my wife and I have spent many an afternoon scouring the homes of the recently deceased and exploring cavernous warehouses full of old furniture. In the midst of one such mission, I opened a drawer in a used furniture store to find a daily planner from the year 1989 which re-capped the daily adventures, successes, and frustrations of one woman in Queens day-by-day. Immediately, I knew that I wanted to do something with it, but I wasn't sure what.
Eventually, after hearing about a high school kid who was posting photos of himself dressed as American presidents on Instagram each day, I realized where this project belonged. And with that, "#1989stoodmeupagain" was born. As 2014 unfolds, I have opened the pages of this universe for all to see and re-live, 25 years after pen hit paper. I have replaced some names to protect the innocent -- and the guilty -- but the rest is on the page just as I found it.
Anger, boredom, codeine, Frank, celebrations, laundry, trips to the doctor; it's all here. Who knows where 1989 will lead?
Links to most of my creative works, including previous CNN iReports can be found on my website: