- Posted August 13, 2014 by
Boxing – Fitness Routine To Achieve Optimal Health
While it is easy for some to shed pounds by simple exercise, those that need fitness routine can consider boxing as an option. Boxing can be incorporated in your training program no matter how old are you or how great is your athletic ability. It is said to be a great cardio workout.
What are the benefits of boxing workouts?
This high intensity, calorie burning activity improves overall health, helps you lose weight, boost your confidence and strengthen you physically and mentally. With your joints, muscles and ligaments becoming flexible, it promotes better posture. Your coordination and balance is also improved. Because you feel the element of competition and danger, the routine becomes more exciting. It can lift your level of self-esteem. And when you are able to compete, a sense of achievement is created. You gain power with good physical and mental strength.
How to get started
You will need the proper equipment - boxing gloves, wrist wraps, punching bag and jump rope.
• Boxing gloves serve as a protection. The bag gloves or training gloves are use for hitting heavy bags and not people. It is designed to protect you and not what you are hitting. The other type which is the boxing gloves is used to protect you and your opponent. Your options vary depending on the shape, style, weight, size and colour.
• A wrist wrap or a hand wrap is a strip of cloth. It is to protect your hand and wrist from injuries induced by punching. It holds your hand in place, providing support for your wrists, fingers, knuckles, and the entire hand itself.
• Punching bag is an important piece of training equipment for boxing. Its primary purpose is to develop power in all of your offensive striking techniques. Heavy bags are generally cylindrical in shape, approximately 40 inches in height, and are made of top grain leather, heavy canvas or vinyl. It can be hung from the ceiling or affixed to a heavy duty stand.
• Jumping rope or skipping rope plays an essential part in your boxing training. It helps improve your speed, endurance, conditioning, rhythm, coordination, footwork and power.
Hire a personal trainer. Training coach is necessary to avoid injury. They are there to ensure proper form and facilitate the highest level of fitness. In Sydney, you can check this website for the best boxing fitness trainer.
Know the proper techniques. Boxing techniques uses very forceful strikes with the hand. The basic punches are jabs, cross, hooks and uppercuts. Learn how to combine these punches to come up with a routine.
Have a planned routine. How long should be your warm-up? Practice punching the heavy bag with combined punches. You can also simulate an actual boxing match. If you are a beginner, start with a short workout plan that lasts for about 10 to 20 minutes.