- Posted August 15, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
810 Filipinos leave conflict-stricken Libya
From Malta, the Filipino evacuees will be fetched by Philippine Airlines planes and fly them straight to Manila, DFA spokesman Charles Jose said.
The ship that proceeded to Malta completed its mission of picking up 443 Filipino workers in Benghazi and 367 in Misrata on Aug. 13 and 14.
Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario said the ship will no longer go back to Libya, adding all evacuations will now be done by land because the borders in Tunisia and Egypt have reopened.
Before the second civil war erupted this year, around 13,000 Filipinos are working in Libya.
The Philippine government enforced the mandatory evacuation of Filipino workers due to the lawlessness, armed conflict and widespread violence in Libya. However, majority of them refused to leave their jobs and chose to stay behind.
At least 1,000 have returned to the Philippines since it carried out the evacuations in June, the DFA said.
It said it will continue to urge the remaining workers in Libya to leave to keep them out of harm’s way.