- Posted August 15, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Emergency loans for Phl workers pushed
In filing House Resolution 1286 Friday, Rep. Gus Tambunting of Parañaque City said there’s a need to extend interest-free loans to thousands of families left homeless and deprived of their basic sources of livelihood.
"Government should find ways to mitigate the sufferings of victims and help them survive the devastation," Tambunting stressed.
Based on mid-July government statistics, the lawmaker noted that some 93,855 families of 450,689 persons were directly affected in Regions IV-A, IV-B, V and VIII and a total of 76,598 families or 373,177 individuals were evacuated in various areas in Region IV.
Without citing actual and updated data on the extent of devastation in affected areas, as agencies of government dealing with disasters and rehabilitation have yet to come up with a comprehensive statistics on damages and effects to lives and property, Tambunting could only stress the need for faster government response.
"Government should, at least, extend assistance in terms of interest-free calamity loans to private and public employees whose families are really in dire need of help," Tambunting concluded.