- Posted August 15, 2014 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Protests around the world
chronicle of a death foretold
As an immigrant to this country I have met as many great african americans as any other kind of people. They have helped me and I am indebted to them.
There are many reasons for this situation where we are today (example Ferguson )
1. Police acts as military in many cases (I have met many extremely helpful police who are not racist - they are also ordinary people trying to bring food to their kids)
2. African Americans have been demonized and this starts from very childhood where if you see all the bad characters in Hobbit are black in color.
3. We Asians and Hispanics do not have any guilt complex like many whites have so when we see an angry African person we get easily irritated.
4. Other immigrants have moved forward as compared to African Americans - so they feel left behind
5. Very few idols to follow - other than Dr. King and Judge Marshall and Obama (my daughters middle name is Marshall) they cannot follow many other.
5. Social inequality has increased and African Americans feel left out
We need a social discourse which should be civil and police (all law enforcement) has to be part of it. The culture of adoring guns and violence has to be tamed in. This is not easy because everyday in TV we should killings of all nature and we have made an entire generation (of all colors) insensitive to human death.
Blaming one person or one incident is not going to solve this very large problem - I do not have a solution but I do not know how to answer to a grieving mom - when she says "do you know how hard it is to take a black kid through school" - that is a very profound statement which should shame us all as a community.