- Posted August 16, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Filipinos in Liberia, Golan Heights not safe?
It was reported that the Department of National Defense made a recommendation for the pullout of Filipino peacekeepers in Golan Heights and Liberia because of increasing tensions in the Middle East and the spread of Ebola virus in Africa.
"I had a chance to speak to the President about this lately and he said we’re still trying to see what are the available protection for our soldiers who are there," Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said.
Valte said her impression is that the President has not made a decision yet whether to bring home the peacekeepers or retain them there.
But she said it is the President's paramount concern to ensure the safety of Filipino soldiers deployed overseas for peacekeeping missions.
Recently, a Filipino peacekeeper was injured while performing his duties in the Golan Heights because of deteriorating security conditions there.
In Africa, there are also concerns on the safety of peacekeepers as the Ebola virus continues to ravage several African countries such as Liberia and Sierra Leone, which already posted many casualties.