- Posted August 19, 2014 by
Gaza City, Israel
This iReport is part of an assignment:
- Why My Grieving Heart Must Break Open For #Gaza
- Omaha, Nebraska's September 15th Rally for the International Day of Democracy
- Wisdom From A Palestinian Women Inside The Israeli Occupation
- IDF (Israeli Defense Forces) in Hebron, Palestine
- Omaha Student, Mother, Returns from Unique Interfaith Delegation to Israel and Palestine
Two months ago in May, I was doing Dabke in Gaza with Palestinian youth- Today's current horror is a tragic contrast to this joy
We all left Gaza in tears, tears for knowing how precious our time there was and tears for knowing that our dear Gazan friends and colleagues could not leave Gaza because of Israel's on-going siege. Everyone we met in Gaza amazed me and inspired me with their warm spirit, laughter, and unwavering hope that justice will prevail despite Israel's horrific on-going siege.
Over the last month, most of these amazing people in the video have had to evacuate their homes, have had family and friends killed, and one of the students, Abdullah, who was participating in our "Palestine Youth: Together for Change" program, was killed yesterday by Israeli soldiers in Israel's assault on the Shujaiya neighborhood in Gaza. Abdullah was aspiring to be an international human rights lawyer and had a contagious smile that none us will ever forget.
My heart breaks for Abdullah's family and friends and for all those in Gaza during this horrendous time. I pray that humanity's global conscience awakens and Israel's bombing of Gaza, murder of Palestinians, siege and occupation end soon, and that the people of Gaza can live their lives as human beings… laugh again, dance again, and follow their dreams in freedom, safety and peace.