- Posted August 20, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Philippine media’s public service sought
Rep. Evelina Escudero of Sorsogon province raised the proposal through House Bill 4641, noting that the capability of broadcast media in disseminating information through live and recorded coverage cannot be overstated.
"Broadcast media is the best tool to relay information and motivate people to participate in nation building. It is the most effective vehicle to carry out the government's ultimate goal to promote the objectives of sound government," Escudero said.
The lawmaker noted that its influence in shaping public perceptions and behavior, changing social attitudes and bringing about social integration is highly recognized.
Escudero said her proposal also adheres to Section 24, Article II of the Constitution, which provides that "The State recognizes the vital role of communication and information in nation-building."
The lady lawmaker stressed that health, road and traffic discipline, good values, public safety, welfare rights and benefits and disaster preparedness are matters of public interest and concern because of their significant effects on safety and on the social, economic and moral well-being of the people.
Escudero said that plans and programs of the government on these matters must involve the active participation and cooperation of the people for their effective implementation.
"Thus, the government should relay and communicate the public policy on these matters through the use of the most effective and accessible means, the broadcast media," Escudero concluded.