- Posted August 20, 2014 by
The Significant Benefits of Glass Bottles for your Beverages
There are a few options available on the market, but undeniably, glass bottling still holds considerable appeal for beverage companies across the globe. In fact, the glass bottling business is a booming $5.5 billion dollar industry, making it one of the most popular choices for packaging your liquid products.
Here are just a few reasons why it really pays to go for glass when packaging your drink for wholesale and retail sale.
Going for glass: The advantages of choosing glass bottles to contain your beverage
1. Better for the environment. Glass, being 100% recyclable, is a naturally better choice for the environment. The best thing about the material is that it can be recycled not just the once, but again and again, which has real benefits on an ecological level. Currently, an impressive 80% of all glass bottles are recycled, and the recycling process is incredibly quick, with many glass bottles going from shop shelf, to recycling plant, back to the shelf again, within the space of a month.
2. Complete chemical stability. Glass is completely non-reactive with most liquids, which guarantees that your beverage maintains optimum levels of strength, scent and taste. Unlike other bottle materials, your beverage will be preserved intact for significantly long periods of time.
3. No detriment to flavor. The surface of glass is 100% impermeable and completely non-porous. What does this mean for your drinks? It means that your drink will never react or permeate with the surface of the glass, and your customer will never be left with an unpleasant after-taste as a result of sipping your product!
4. It’s tough and durable. Unlike plastic, which is prone to squashing and splitting, glass is remarkably durable (unless of course, it’s dropped from a height on to a hard floor!). Using this durable material reduces the number of products lost to breakage and keeps wastage at a minimum.
5. It’s flexible and can be tailored to your requirements. Glass can be molded into the form that you want, giving you the freedom to create a distinct piece of packaging that is unique to your brand.
6. It’s recognized by official bodies for its safety. The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has awarded glass ‘GRAS’ status, which stands for ‘generally regarded as safe’. It is the only popular material for food packaging that has achieved this status.
7. It looks professional. There is something about the appearance of glass that gives a far greater air of professionalism than other materials such as plastic.
If you’re considering using glass as a container for your range of beverages, then it’s a good idea to discuss your exact requirements with a local glass bottle supplier and a bottle filling machinery supplier, as you’ll need both in order to run your business effectively.