- Posted August 22, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Philippine senator fails to stop suspension
Sandiganbayan justices said they see no reason at all why they need to reverse their earlier order.
In his argument, Enrile claims that only the Senate has the jurisdiction to impose suspension against him being one of the current members of that chamber.
“Wherefore, premises considered, accused Juan Ponce Enrile's Motion for Reconsideration dated August 5, 2014 is hereby denied for lack of merit,” the decision reads.
The embattled senator is facing one count of plunder and 15 counts of graft at the Sandiganbayan for allegedly pocketing P172.8 million in public funds by diverting his Priority Development Assistance Fund allocations to suspected bogus non-government organizations owned by Janet Lim Napoles.
Meanwhile, Philippine General Hospital (PGH) Director Jose Gonzales asked the court to give them more time to subject the former Senate President to more tests to determine his present condition.
“However, in view of the requested pulmonary examination, the undersigned further respectfully requests that he be given an extension of 15 days from August 26, 2014 or until September 10, 2014, within which to submit the PGH report or recommendation on the medical assessment on Sen. Enrile,” the two-page request of Dr. Gonzales reads.