- Posted August 23, 2014 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
- Philippines orders evacuation as Mayon volcano threatens to erupt
- Recently Launched Galileo Satellites Enter Wrong Orbit, European Space Agency Says
- Halong Becomes a Strong Super Typhoon; Japan in Harm's Way
- Solar storm nearly destroyed Earth two years ago
- Scientists find hole in Earth's magnetic field on July 2014- Earth’s magnetic poles are shifting; north and south poles set to flip
RED ALERT - Iceland Raises Volcano Aviation Warning To Red
Code red indicates that eruptions are imminent or underway that could disperse clouds of ash and dust into the flight paths of jet aircraft, threatening safe air travel.
Thousands of mini earthquakes rattled the volcano deep beneath the Vatnajokull glacier over the past week, causing authorities to evacuate several hundred people from an area north of the glacier.
An eruption in 2010 of the Eyjafjallajokul volcano produced an ash cloud that caused international aviation chaos, with more than 100,000 flights cancelled.
Aviation regulators since have reformed policies about flying through ash, so a new eruption would be unlikely to cause that much disruption.