- Posted August 23, 2014 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
- Anwar Ibrahim to be transferred from prison to house arrest due to poor health: Lawyers
- BREAKING NEWS: Severe Solar Storm Strikes Earth, Spawning Low-Latitude Aurora and power problems possible
- US President Barack Obama warning to Malaysia: Be careful when prosecuting Anwar Ibrahim
- New Solar Storm Tool Could Give 24 Hours' Notice of Space Weather
- Malaysia Airlines flight MH148 makes emergency landing at Melbourne airport
RED ALERT - Iceland Raises Volcano Aviation Warning To Red
Code red indicates that eruptions are imminent or underway that could disperse clouds of ash and dust into the flight paths of jet aircraft, threatening safe air travel.
Thousands of mini earthquakes rattled the volcano deep beneath the Vatnajokull glacier over the past week, causing authorities to evacuate several hundred people from an area north of the glacier.
An eruption in 2010 of the Eyjafjallajokul volcano produced an ash cloud that caused international aviation chaos, with more than 100,000 flights cancelled.
Aviation regulators since have reformed policies about flying through ash, so a new eruption would be unlikely to cause that much disruption.