- Posted August 26, 2014 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
The written word: Your personal essays
Preventing A Car Breakdown On Your Summer Road Trip
Although summer is nearly over, you and your family may still not have gone on that annual mark-of-season activity: a road trip. Who wouldn’t want to go on another out-of-town holiday, but on a much less expensive scale? Even if road trips can be more physically exhausting on your part (especially if you are the designated driver), nothing beats the experience of driving down the smooth roads and seeing the beautiful sceneries as you pass by them. Of course, everyone in the family will certainly enjoy the whole driving (or car-riding) experience as well.
But there is one thing that you and your family will never enjoy and will never want to happen during a summer road trip: a breakdown.
Tips To Prevent Your Car From Breaking Down During A Summer Road Trip
A leading provider of tow truck services in Perth shares some tips on how you can prevent your car from breaking down during a road trip, which you should do before starting your journey:
• Make sure you check oil and coolant levels. If you are not familiar with doing this, you can follow the instructions on your vehicle manual.
• Check your car’s cooling system as well. Look for signs that it is leaking or if the cooling fan is not working properly. A leaking cooling system or inoperative cooling fan can cause your car to overheat and it can also cause damage to the engine.
• Closely inspect all wiper blades for any signs of wear and tear and cracks.
• Make sure that you also check the windscreen washer fluid level and that the washer jets are adjusted correctly.
• Check the condition of all the tyres as well. And this includes the spares. Make sure all the tyres have the right pressures and legal tread depth.
• Check the jack and wheel brace to ensure that they working properly. If the locking wheel nuts are fitted, make sure that the locking key is securely stowed away in the vehicle.
• Make sure that all dashboard warning lights are fully and correctly functioning.
• Keep your spare set of car keys in a safe and secure place.
• Always have the number of reliable towing company on speed dial. A tow truck, Perth locals know, can help and even rescue you when your car breaks down unexpectedly.
If you feel that you can’t carry out the full inspection work on your car, take your vehicle to a qualified mechanic. The mechanic can completely check your car, make the necessary repairs and changes (oil and other damaged parts) to make sure that your vehicle is safe and road worthy for this year’s last summer sojourn.