- Posted August 27, 2014 by
Mandir Palace - Jaisalmer
A prominent landmark in this spectacular heritage city is Mandir Palace, which had been the residence of the rulers of Jaisalmer for more than two centuries.
Mandir Palace is an exquisitely carved architectural marvel of ornate balconies, canopies and delicately carved screens that represent a high point of local craftsmanship in its finest and purest form.
A noticeable feature of Mandir Palace is its tower called ‘Badal Vilas’, which stands out as the tallest structure below the hill-top city fort.
The Jawahir Vilas are part of a royal complex called the Mandir Palace (meaning Temple Palace as two temples were originally built here). The first temple, dedicated to Lord Rama, was built in 1770 at the request of the mother of Maharawal Mulraj II. Then, in about 1810, the Maharawal himself, got a temple built and dedicated it to Girdhariji (another name of Lord Krishna). Subsequent rulers then added palaces to the complex with Maharawal Jawahir Singh (1914-49) making it his residence on a regular basis. The star attraction of the complex is the Jawahir Vilas with its tiers of very ornate balconies, canopies and delicately carved screens that are truly exquisite and represent a high point of local craftsmanship in its finest and purest form. Inside there is a lovely glasshouse whose walls have extensive glass and lattice work in gold of different hues and designs. The Durbar Hall, for state assemblies, has latticed screens and carved balconies and motifs that are spectacular indeed. Part of the complex is now a very posh hotel.