- Posted August 27, 2014 by
- Iranian opposition leader, Maryam Rajavi: Those who propagate despotism and ruthlessness under the veneer of Islam are the worst enemies of Islam.
- Maryam Rajavi strongly condemned the ruthless terrorist attack on the office of a French magazine in Paris
- IRAN HAS 7,000 TERRORIST QODS FORCE GUARDS IN IRAQ
- Video: NCRI Christmas Message Showcases Moderate Iranian Voices
- Italian senate hearing notes the gross violation of human rights in Iran
Iran: Telethon in support of INTV raised $5,023,000
The Iran National TV (Simaye Azadi), the satellite TV that broadcasts news and reports of the Iranian opposition, held a 56-hour telethon that started on August 22, 2014 and continued to the early hours of August 26. During the period, individuals from throughout Iran and from all over the world could call in and pledge their support.
Several thousand donors made contributions from several dollars to several hundred thousand dollars – a grand total of $5,023,000.
The contributors comprised people from various social strata including bureaucrats, university and high school students, laborers, businessmen, housewives, etc. The donors were from various age groups from teenagers to youngsters and the elderly.
The 56-hour program was also broadcast in English through the Internet.
Even though 36 telephone lines were allocated for callers to make their contributions, many could not get through due to the high volume of calls. Thus, a large number of people used social media to announce their support for INTV.
A growing number of people from Iran called the program despite huge risks, including facing a death sentence, confiscation of belongings, etc. The callers from Iran expressed their support for the People's Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI/MEK) and declared their contribution to INTV.
In addition to being a fundraising event, the 56-hour program was an impressive show of the Iranian people’s desire for regime change in Iran and support for the MEK from across Iran and the world over.
Many callers used the opportunity to commemorate the upcoming first anniversary of the massacre of members of the Iranian resistance residing at Camp Ashraf, Iraq, on September 1, 2013, and also congratulating the 50th anniversary of the foundation of the MEK.