- Posted August 29, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Rebels surround camp of Filipino peacekeepers
The Filipino peacekeepers, however, refused, resulting in a stand-off with the rebels.
Earlier, the rebels occupied the camp of 43 Fiji peacekeepers, demanded they surrender their firearms, and took them as hostages.
Expressing concern over the safety of the Filipino soldiers, the AFP said the government and UN officials are already trying to peacefully resolve the situation.
“We are in direct communication with our peacekeepers and with the UN Force Headquarters in the Golan Heights, as options and contingency plans are being drawn and considered,” it said in the bulletin.
“We will exert all efforts to ensure the safety and security of our peacekeepers,” the AFP said.
President Benigno Aquino III, who was in Oriental Mindoro to inspect infrastructure projects, returned to Manila immediately after the event.
Aquino said Filipino soldiers serving as United Nations (UN) peacekeepers in the Golan Heights remain safe despite a stand-off with Syrian rebels.