About this iReport
  • Not verified by CNN

  • Click to view nfulbright's profile
    Posted March 2, 2009 by
    Chicago, Illinois
    This iReport is part of an assignment:
    iReport for CNN

    More from nfulbright

    Edgewater Fire Leaves Dozens Trapped - 13 Rushed to Hospital



    Mid-afternoon Monday, March 2nd, dozens of residents of the 1040 W. Hollywood building located in the historical neighborhood of Chicago, had to be evacuated due to a 2-11 alarm fire.


    The blaze seemed to have started in the basement but flames and smoke soon trapped panicked residents on the third and fourth floors of the 5-story, 96-unit building. It took firefighters a little over an hour to extinguish the fire; however, thick smoke continued to wreak havoc on the trapped residents' lungs until they could be rescued. There were multiple ladder rescues occuring on every side of the building including a successful rescue of a four-month-old infant.





    The nature of the fire called for a 2-11 alarm and EMS Plan II to go into effect sending eight engines, four trucks, two tower ladders, five battalion chiefs, one deputy district chief, one district chief, a command van and 11 ambulances to the scene. The Shell Gasoline station at the corners of Broadway and Hollywood became a temporary parking lot for the emergency response units.





    13 injured people were taken to the hospital including a pregnant woman who had jumped from a first floor window. None of the injuries are considered life-threatening. Many others were treated on the scene.





    Several of the fire victims were forced to leave their homes on this snowy afternoon without much clothing or other belongings. The Fulbright family, neighbors residing in the 5700 block of Kenmore, just north of the burning building, assisted displaced residents by providing them with coats, blankets, coffee and hot chocolate until warming buses and the Red Cross of Greater Chicago could arrive.





    Fire victims who had resided on the north side of the building were advised to find temporary shelter for the night. People's Gas made a visit to ensure there was no imminent danger.





    A 40-year-old woman named Evelyn said that her things could be replaced but she was just happy to have escaped with her life and those of her children's intact. Another woman, who had been at work when the fire broke out, simply burst into tears after being reunited with her toddler.



    Add your Story Add your Story