- Posted August 20, 2009 by
New Orleans, Louisiana
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Larry King Live: Your questions
- The "New" New Orleans. Post-Hurricane Katrina.
- Preserving History in New Orleans. Phillis Wheatley Elementary School.
- New Orleans Post-Katrina 4 Years Later...Phyllis Montana-Leblanc
- Dear President Obama: From Phyllis Montana-Leblanc. From Spike Lee's "When The Levees Broke."
- Healthcare vs Hospital vs Phyllis Montana-Leblanc vs New Orleans...
Not Just The Levees Broke by: Phyllis Montana-Leblanc. Hurricane Katrina Survivor
"Not Just The Levees Broke" By: Phyllis Montana-Leblanc:
Not just the levees broke
The spirit broke, my spirit
The families broke apart (I want my momma, my sister and my nephew back home!)
The auction block broke from so many African-American bodies
The sense of direction was broken because of the darkness
There was light from time to time, but they broke away and left us
My being together broke when I fell apart
The smell broke away from my skin when I came out of the waters
The waters that came and stood still, with the bodies of my people, the dogs, shit, and piss, rats, snakes and "heard of" alligators
The broken smiles, the broken minds, the broken lives
And you know something? You wanna know something?
Out of all of this brokenness, I have begun to mend.
With God, my deep, deep commitment to infinite strength and to never give up
I am mending
I am coming back
God willing, for a long, long time
So, when you see the waters,
When you see the levees breaking,
Know what they really broke along with them.
Excerpt from "Not Just The Levees Broke" My Story During And After Hurricane Katrina. Foreword by: Spike Lee.
In honor of the survivors and those who perished on August 29, 2005. New Orleans, Louisiana.
Has America Forgotten About New Orleans And ITS Recovery? Are we suffering from "Katrina Fatigue?"