- Posted September 14, 2009 by
Watertown, New York
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Fix our schools
- So, "Five Republican Candidates Walk into a Koch Brothers' Donor Retreat"...Beginning of a Bad Joke or Travesty of US Representative Government?
- 9/11 to Now: Ways We Have Changed Our Language and Traded Security for Freedom
- How Our Country and Its Language has Changed since 9/11- One Nation under Surveillance for Liberty and Justice for All?
- The GOP Tries to Sink Another Iran Deal; It's Not the First Time. Remember Reagan’s Deal with Iran? Our Coup? The Shah" No? You Must Be Republican
- $15 an Hour in NY? Where's the Outrage Over Corporate America's Continuous 'Raises'? Fast Food's Raise Will Leverage Hike for All Workers in America
How To Teach Your Children To Read...Guaranteed!
In 6th grade, my English teacher, Dr. John Wrape, started reading the class, "A Wrinkle in Time". Every Friday, he would set aside an hour to read us this book..from two o'clock till the buses came at 3pm.
After reading 5 chapters until we were "hooked on the story" and about 5 weeks, he announced that he was done reading because we needed to start studying for final exams. The class couldn't believe it! What would we do? How did the story end?
After listening to us complain, he announced that he had made sure that 23 copies of the book were at the school library and if we wanted to see how the story ended, we could read the rest of the book ourselves.
This man was clever. I checked out a copy and read the rest that weekend. I've been reading ever since. This is how you teach your kids to read!