- Posted September 14, 2009 by
Watertown, New York
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Fix our schools
- Torture, ISIS -"To Stop Them, We Risk Awakening the Same Evil Within Ourselves"
- So Jeb Bush is Running For President. If Elected, Will He Pardon His Brother, George 'W'?
- Snowmobile Capital of the Eastern US- Barnes Corners, NY- Tug Hill Region-200"+ of Snow!
- Camp Collapsed From Snow Load-6' Snow Banks-Barnes Corners, Tug Hill, NY-Feb22, 2015
- Birtherism Alert: Rudy Giuliani Says Obama Doesn’t Love America
How To Teach Your Children To Read...Guaranteed!
In 6th grade, my English teacher, Dr. John Wrape, started reading the class, "A Wrinkle in Time". Every Friday, he would set aside an hour to read us this book..from two o'clock till the buses came at 3pm.
After reading 5 chapters until we were "hooked on the story" and about 5 weeks, he announced that he was done reading because we needed to start studying for final exams. The class couldn't believe it! What would we do? How did the story end?
After listening to us complain, he announced that he had made sure that 23 copies of the book were at the school library and if we wanted to see how the story ended, we could read the rest of the book ourselves.
This man was clever. I checked out a copy and read the rest that weekend. I've been reading ever since. This is how you teach your kids to read!