- Posted November 18, 2009 by
Glen allen, Virginia
This iReport is part of an assignment:
A vegetarian Thanksgiving
Vegetarian Dumplings with a Honey Soy Dipping Sauce
I love Chinese food but as a vegetarian there are many dishes I don't partake in.One such dish is dumplings. They are quite popular and you have to admit that they look gorgeous. So why should anyone be denied dumplings just because they are vegetarian? Vegetarian dumplings stuffed with colorful veggies are just as beautiful and quite nutritious. Vegetarian dumplings can be fried or steamed... either way the taste is delicious.
Ingredients for the dumplings:
1 cup finely chopped cabbage
1 cup finely chopped mushrooms
1 carrot grated
1 cup spring onions finely chopped
1 cup cilantro finely chopped
1 pack thick dumpling skins
1 tsp sesame oil
Pepper sauce to taste
salt to taste
Ingredients for *Dipping Sauce:
1 tsp ginger paste or minced fresh ginger
1/4 cup Soy Sauce
2 tbsps Honey
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
Roasted sesame seeds
1. Add the chopped cabbage and salt in a bowl and mix well. Set aside for 5 mins.
2. Squeeze excess water out of cabbage and place back into the bowl.
3. Add the chopped mushrooms, grated carrot, chopped spring onions, chopped cilantro, salt and pepper sauce and mix well. Taste and add salt and pepper sauce if necessary.
6. Take a dumpling skin and place a spoonful of the vegetable mix in the center. Smear water around the edges of the dumpling skin and close. Repeat for as many as needed.
7. Take a pot and add water in it to fill about 1/4 of the pot.
8.Take a steel container smaller than the pot and place folded dumplings in the steel container and place the container into the pot and close the lid.
9. Let the dumplings steam for around 10-15 mins or until cooked and then remove.
10. In a bowl whisk together soy sauce, honey, ginger paste and sesame oil (can be prepared 1 day ahead). Cover and chill. Just before serving stir in sesame seeds.
*Emeril's Honey Soy Dipping Sauce