Many times, we see our lives in highlights, our decades become our personal slide shows. What have we done, what do we want to change, what is of importance to us. How do we define our meaning and progress within a decade. Is it by family, travels, religion...... or, does it all in some strange way, stay of the same importance throughout.....yet we just grow with more history as individuals.
Over the last 10 years (17-27), I have matured, fell behind, discovered, questioned, and I have created my past. 10 years ago was when I began to travel and took my first photography class. I was frustrated, confused, happy, and still to this day....I am learning a lot about my own process. A photo speaks of our past, it shows our presence in that moment, and helps create the composition for our future. Once taken, it becomes archived, and will be filed into the decades to come. It may be a disappointment at the time, but when you reexamine, you realize it is a silent triumph.
Attached are photos that have meaning to me, describe my last decade, and act as my learning tool for the next.
1. Self Portrait, Florence Italy, beginning photo class, 2000
2. Love, Ventura CA. 2002
3. Blank Spaces, Heathrow Airport, London 2004
4. Hiking in the Peruvian Amazon, 2005
5. Sunday, Xela, Guatemala medical clinic, Photo of Rose and Jasmine.
6. Tides, Sea Ranch, CA, 2006
7. Classroom, Gualala CA, 2007
8. Classroom II, Uganda 2008
9. Shadow play, self portrait, Wakiso District, Uganda
10. Pace, Athol, MA, grandmother's funeral.2009