- Posted January 12, 2010 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Haiti earthquake aftermath
- Los dominicanos conmemoran hoy el 169 aniversario de la Independencia
- How fast did the meteorite enter the atmosphere exploding in Russia on February 15th?
- ¿A qué velocidad entró en la atmósfera el meteorito que explotó en Rusia el 15 de febrero?
- The meteor explosion over Russia that injured thousands
- TENSIÓN :: Haitianos atacan a pedradas consulado dominicano en Juana Méndez
Haiti Quake: too much for a poor country
Some fotos from the recently earthquake inHaiti and Dominican Republic. It was at 5:58:08 (Dominican Zome Time)
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - A powerful earthquake hit the impoverished country of Haiti on Tuesday, collapsing the presidential palace and raising fears of substantial casualties in what the country’s U.S. ambassador called “a major disaster.”
President René Garcia Préval was reported to be safe, but Radio Metropole of Port-au-Prince, the capital, quoted a government official as saying there were “certainly dozens of deaths.”
Dozens of dead and injured people in the street and the streets are blocked in so many parts.
President Barack Obama said the United States stood "ready to assist" Haiti after a powerful 7.0 quake rocked the impoverished Caribbean nation.
"My thoughts and prayers go out to those who have been affected by this earthquake. We are closely monitoring the situation and we stand ready to assist the people of Haiti," he said.
Ing. Franklin de Js. Torres
MocaCity, Dominican Republic