- Posted February 3, 2010 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
iReport for CNN
Food Science Michael Pollan: Food Addictions and Health
(Tobacco Corporation’s nicotine and Food Corporation’s glucose fructose corn syrup super sugars)
- Michael Pollan author of Food Rules
- Food science, similar to tobacco corporations, designed to make you eat more, linked to high fructose corn syrup, sounds conspiratorial.
- Americans get 20% of their calories from high fructose corn syrup.
- Americans eat 240 lbs of sugar a year.
- With health care reform insurers would have an interest in your heath.
• The root cause of rising health care costs is the U.S. diet.
• The U.S. obesity epidemic
The insurance industry would have an interest in a healthier U.S. population due to the elimination of preexisting conditions.
If you give a powerful industry an interest in an unhealthy population you will end up with an unhealthy population. The same is true if you give a powerful industry an interest in a healthy population.