- Posted February 7, 2010 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
iReport for CNN
ANAMBRA ELECTIONS UPDATE
PICS OF PROF. SOLUDO CASTING HIS VOTE
* 1620 - Results at Dunukofia announced.
* 1615 - Voting ends in Dunukofia LGA. Counting has commenced.
* 1545 - Ballot boxes have been snatched at Okpokp Ward VI by thugs suspected to be PDP agents. The other parties have reported to INEC and the police.
*** Suspected LP members at Umuzocha Ward II, Awka South LGA are disorganizing the voting process.
* 1533 - Ballot box missing at Uli Ward I, Unit 26. The police are harassing voters. Lots of chaos.
* 1517 - PDP member, Damien Ejidike just released. He was arrested about an hour ago with voters' cards at Ichi in Ekwusigo LG.
*** There have been gunshots in Ojoto-Obofia at three polling stations, but the voting continues.
* 1506 - At the other side of Aromar Junction, INEC officials have been forced by the people to register them. This after only two names were found on the voters' register. The officials are writing down the names of people and letting them vote. At the end of the day, those votes might not count.
* 1454 - Update on the situation in Isuofia: the agents are insisting that the INEC official must declare no election at tat ward to prevent manipulation of results.
*** An attack on the home of PPA candidate Uche Ekwunife. He also says that a lot of people cannot vote around the Awka area because of lack of materials.
* 1443 - INEC official prevented from leaving her polling station, Unit 8 at the primary school, Isiaku in Isuofia. The argument between herself and voters is over the number of names in her register. She has only four names.
*** Serious fight going on in Agukwu Nri in Aniocha local government area between APGA and PPA supporters.
* 1436 - At Aromar Junction off the Enugu-Onitsha Expressway, INEC officials are reading out the names of people in the voters' register. The idea is for anyone who hears his name to come and vote with his identity card. The ballot box at the polling station has less than 20 votes cast, and with the calling out of hundreds of names, no one present has so far heard his or her name.
***We were right. JS Uwazuruonye is the same man that was in charge when the elections in Ondo state were massively rigged in 2007. Is this where I use a swear word?
* 1400 - Journalists from other media organisations have confirmed to our own reporters that so many names are missing from the voters' registers all over Anambra state.
***We are trying to confirm for you, but we believe that the Resident Electoral Commissioner handling this election is the same man who conducted the heavily rigged elections in favour of Segun Agagu in Ondo State, 2007. So far all documents that should have his name are unavailable.
* 1346 - Persistent rumours in parts of the state that the PDP candidate, Soludo has been kicked out of the race. Supporters of Andy Uba openly soliciting votes along major roads calling for people to vote for their candidate.
* 1344 - Voting has been extended by an hour across the state. Voting will now end at 1700 not 1600.
* 1333 - Fighting reported at Ifitedunu. The people are accusing security of bias. Most of the people cannot find their names in the voters' register.
* 1331 - Voting in Umunachi is orderly, and the turnout is good.
* 1331 - Rumours flying around state that the elections in the speaker's ward, Awka South Ward VII have been cancelled due to irregularities. The REC is due to give a press conference soon.
* 1327 - Resident Electoral Commissioner's office has announced that the elections must stop at 4PM as advertised. At that hour, no one would be allowed into any polling centres, but people who are on the queues can continue voting.
* 1311 - Mr. Nenbe has left the REC's office. His parting shot, "They are causing this trouble because they know I will deliver."
* 1306 - The assembly member is Anayo Nenbe. He is making threats, "If the election doesn't hold in this ward early enough, there will be trouble. Some people want to make jest of me in my own ward and I won't allow this."
* 1300 - Prof Chuma Soludo cast his vote at his home ward in Isuochi peacfefully, as the thirm third person to vote. there were hundrerds of voters there but it seemed their names are not on the register.
* 1259 - At Uga Ward I, the youth are getting restive over the absence of INEC officials and electoral materials. Some are mobilising to go and force INEC officials at nearby polling stations to come to their station.
* 1255 - A member of the Anambra House of Assembly arrives at the office of the resident electoral commissioner in Awka South LG. He is complaining that the election is yet to commence at his ward, Awka VII. "How will the election hold in the whole Anambra but not in my ward?" REC, JC Uwazuruonye claims that the policemen are the problem. According to him, "we have done everything humanly possible for a successful election but the police are not doing anything." He also claimed that the INEC official posted to that ward was threatened by party agents because her register had only 1700 names while the agents claimed that 4000 people registered.
***There is an allegation of impersonation against two law school students at the Central School in Mgbakwu. They are suspected to be APGA sympathisers.
* 1248 - At Ojoto most voters cannot find their names in the register.
***Things appear to be heating up as youths have stormed the home of a PDP chieftain; Cosmos Agabo in Abba because they suspect that ballot thumb-printing is going on there.
* 1243 - NBA monitors are reporting peaceful voting at Nnewi North and South, besides Mbanagu-Otolo Nnewi where materials had not arrived as at noon.
***Elections have not started at Ogbunike and Umunya, both in Oyi LGA as at 12.15pm. Many thugs are also moving around in buses at Ogbunike.
* 1230 - People are beginning to grumble aloud about the poor arrangements. Samuel Anagor, chairman Ezinifite Improvement Union says, "We will wait patiently for them because we need these elections to be free and fair." He however went on to complain about the timing of the arrival of materials.
* 1225 - Electoral materials are JUST leaving Awka South LG with loads of police officers and corp members sitting idle around the Awka South headquarters. The resident commissioner is soliciting for extra vehicles. He declined to speak with our man on the ground, Ayo Okulaja.
* 1221 - Calm is restored to Akeagba, and voting continues peacefully.
* 1201 - Election materials just arrived at Okpuno Ezinifite, three hours late. There is only one youth corps member with the materials as the INEC official posted with him has gone to distribute materials to other units. The youth corper has said that he has to wait for the official to return before the election can start.
***Honorable Offie FC tells us that police helicopters have been patrolling around Awka South GRA since dawn and voting is going on smoothly. Where do people get all these names from?
* 1156 - Voting materials at Isuofia, Aguata LG were loaded in a van and carted away to an undisclosed location.
***Musikilu tells us that eye witnesses are saying that buses conveying election materials to Uli Ward I have been diverted by thugs led by a member of Federal House of Representatives and member of the Peoples Democratic Party, Mr. Vitalis Okafor.
* 1144 - Election is yet to start at Uga, the hometown of Andy Uba. NYSC members at the polling centres are still waiting for INEC officials and materials.
***On Soludo we stand, comment sent in by the aptly named Poor Man. Most imaginative comment I have seen.
* 1136 - Tension is mouting in Achalla, Awka North LG as people are waiting for election materials and officials.
* 1122 - Francis Izu, police commander arrives Akeagba and says, "We have enough policemen on the ground at Achalla without vehicles to convey them to the polling booths." This is two and a half hours after the elections were due to have started. Voting stalls as the rowdiness persists. Some civilians offer the police use of their cars.
* 1109 - Akeagba gets very rowdy as the police stop the election in some spots due and bring in election materials. INEC official says, "We are here to make a statement."
*** Gubernatorial, not governorship. Thanks to one of our commentators for spotting that. My mistake, blame it on a lack of education.
* 1106 - Corpers deployed to act as election officials are stranded at Aguata LGA headquarters. No vehicle available to take them to their polling centres.
*** In Enugwu-ukwu ward 2 Uruekwo, election is not going on as we were told that the ward is among the unaccredited ward, and there are alot of electorate waiting for electoral matiral as well as Inec officials . Henc, they were told this morning that they can not vote. and there is no clear reason for not allowing election in that .all the electorate in this constuency are complianing bitterly on this development as they are now denied the voting right.how do we proceed?
* 1102 - Police commander at Awka North LG orders the election to be stopped at booths where there are no security operatives. One policeman arrives at Akeagba and the election commences.
* 1052 - At Central School, Ekwulobia, the voters are loosing patience with the INEC officials who are taking their time in distributing election materials.
*** A fake policeman has been arrested at the headquarters of Oyi LG trying to enter a police escort vehicle. He was later moved to the polic station at Awkuzu junction.
* 1045 - Election materials for to the various polling centres are just being distributed at the Central School, Ekwulobia.
* 1040 - At Akeagbe in Awka North LGA, the election is yet to commence. There is no security official present at the polling booth. At Umumite also in Awka North, there is a very low turn out of mainly elderly voters. Also no security officers, and the INEC officials present cannot find the names of the people who turned up in the voters' register.
* 1015 - Election officials and materials have just arrived at Oko, the hometown of Alex Ekwueme. Voters are now beginning to queue to cast their votes.
* 0947 - At Isuofia, Chukwuma Soludo's hometown, voters are at the polling centres, but there are no INEC staff or election materials.
* 0938 - Eyewitness report from INEC office, Ajalli, Orumba North reports that materials have been distributed peacefully, and on time.
* 0931 - At the Police Divisional Headquareters in Ekwulobia, Aguata LGA, scores of policemen are stranded with no vehicle to take them to their assigned polling stations. Many have resorted to hitching rides on motorbikes and the few commercial buses plying their routes.
* INEC Executives are blaming the police for the delay in the arrival of election materials.
* 0921 - Nanka, Orumba North LGA: Policemen charged to cover the elections already in place, but INEC officials yet to arrive.
* 0913 - Agulu, Anaocha LGA: Voting is yet to commence in this, Peter Obi's hometown. There is no INEC official on the ground.