- Posted April 3, 2010 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Weekend assignment: Past and present
Thimphu Past & Present
- zdan, CNN iReport producer
This weekend's assignment was great cause I dug up some old pictures of Thimphu, I'd never seen before - the oldest one dates back to 1905. It was fun and also a challenge trying to look for the same spot these pictures were taken from (and the wind did not help!!). I hope you enjoy going through these pictures as much as I did doing this weekend's assignment.
**Picture source: National Library of Bhutan, British Library, my parents' collection.
1. Old picture taken of His Majesty Jigme Singye Wangchuck during his coronation on June 2nd, 1974.
2 and 3. B&W picture taken by John Claude White in 1905 of the cantilever bridge near the Tashicho Dzong (fortress). If you look closely you will notice that though the bridge was remade later on, they have used the same wooden platform.
4. This picture, of my father and his friend, is taken in front of the then Bhutan Hotel, in 1979. This was one of the first hotels in Bhutan, opened in 1974 for the coronation of our king. Today this building serves part of the Ministry of Communications. As you can tell, it hasn't changed much in 31 years!!
5. This is the National Library in the center of Thimphu taken in 1987. Though this library hasn't changed at all, large buildings (like the one behind) are sprouting up all around it.
6. The old picture is taken in 1990- in over 20 years, the mountains in the background still remain green and unchanged. Btw thats the roof and part of the Tashicho Dzong the distance.