- Posted July 10, 2010 by
Watertown, New York
This iReport is part of an assignment:
'Don't ask, don't tell'
- But Trump Can Win! Supporters Don't Care What Government Will Do; As Long As Their Side is in Power and Wins!
- Americans Are Tired of Hearing that "No Wrong - Doing Was Found"
- The US Will Investigate Its Own Human Rights Abuses After Admitting to Hypocrisy After Pressing Cuba on their Abuses
- GOP to Voters: "I'm not Hillary Clinton. And psss...She's Really Bad
- Megyn Kelly vs. Trump's Remarks Exposes GOP’s Own Hypocrisy and ‘War on Women’
Can You Spot the Gay Soldier In This Photo? DADT Survey
The military's survey of active members on the effects of repealing "don't ask, don't tell" reveals biases.
By Alex Pareene
"The Pentagon is surveying 400,000 active troops on how they would handle a potential repeal of "don't ask, don't tell." It is kind of a mess.
"If Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell is repealed and you are assigned to bathroom facilities with an open bay shower that someone you believe to be a gay or lesbian Service member also used, which are you most likely to do?
“Take no action;
“Use the shower at a different time than the Service member I thought to be gay or lesbian;
“Discuss how we expect each other to behave and conduct ourselves;
“Talk to a chaplain, mentor, or leader about how to handle the situation;
“Talk to a leader to see if I had other options;
That's the "worst" question, though most of them do operate from the assumption that living and working with icky gay people will be something disruptive instead of just a normal fact of life.
Of course, the entire act of politely asking soldiers how they'd feel about a potential policy change does just seem a little weird for the military.
Did Truman ask how if desegregating the armed forces would make anyone uncomfortable before he did it?"
The entire survey is here.
What do you think?