- Posted September 24, 2010 by
Wiesbaden, Germany, Germany
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Buildings: Keep them up or pull them down?
The Amelia Earhart Hotel
Located in Wiesbaden, Germany, once the dormitories for nurses who supported the nearby Air Force hospital, then as temporary military housing and hotel, the building now serves as the headquarters for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Europe District, Regional Contracting Office Wiesbaden and Defense Contract Management Agency.
The building was completed in 1956, officially opening its doors on Oct. 26. The hotel saw a variety of historical events due to its proximity to the hospital. In January 1981, the hotel housed a dozen State Department officials present to witness the arrival and medical testing of 52 American hostages freed by Iranian militants who seized the U.S. Embassy in Iran and took 98 hostages on Nov. 4, 1980, as part of the Iranian Revolution, according to the Sarasota Herald-Tribune.
But the building's days as a hotel were limited.
On Nov. 22, 1993, U.S. Army Europe directed USACE to move from its previous home at the Abrams Complex in the Phillips Building in Frankfurt into the hotel due to the USAREUR Base Closure Directive that closed the complex. To facilitate the move, almost $3 million in renovations were completed to five of nine floors as well as the basement to transform the hotel into an office building.
On June 30, 1995, with renovations complete, the hotel was renamed the Amelia Earhart Center.