- Posted December 20, 2010 by
Washington DC, District of Columbia
- HEWLETT-PACKARD GRANTS $250,000 TO SCHOLARSHIP FOR WOMEN STUDYING IT SECURITY
- Humane Society of the United States - English
- CELEBRIDADES APOYAN EL EVENTO “TO THE RESCUE! NUEVA YORK” DEL HUMANE SOCIETY: PROGRAMA PARA SALVAR VIDAS DE ANIMALES
- U.S PREMIERE OF “MUHAMMAD ALI’S GREATEST FIGHT”
- 13th Annual Chicago Schools - Louder than a Bomb - Poetry Slam Festival
SAFE KIDS ANNOUNCES NEW NATIONAL HIGHWAY SAFETY EDUCATION PROGRAM FOR PARENTS & TEENS
Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Administrator David Strickland, National Transportation Safety Board Chairwoman Deborah Hersman, and GM Foundation President Vivian Pickard expressed their strong support for the groundbreaking Countdown2Drive program.
Safe Kids USA coalitions throughout the United States will equip parents and teen pre-drivers in their communities with targeted safety information and easy-to-use Internet based web tools. Parents will be encouraged to discuss key safety issues their teens will face when riding as a passenger as they prepare to drive.
A key component of the Countdown2Drive program is a parent-teen Passenger Agreement. Parents and teens can utilize the web tool at Countdown2Drive.org to establish family rules and guidelines for driving, rewards, and consequences. Writing the rules into an agreement will help everyone to understand what the family’s safe driving expectations are. Parents are encouraged to share the agreement idea with the parents of their teens’ friends enabling all kids in the social network have similar rules.
- Always wear a seat belt
- Never distract the driver
- Never ride with a driver who has been drinking or taking drugs
- Never ride with drivers who have too little experience
- Avoid drivers they know are unsafe
In Washington DC, this is Michelle Makori for the CNN I-Report.