- Posted February 22, 2011 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Share your school lunch secrets
- The Truth and What the President Tells Us about Helping the Middle Class
- The Humane Act- An Answer to the Humanitarian Crisis at the Border?
- Are They Using Children to distract us From the Real Invasion – Drug Cartels?
- In light of the Many Scandals Facing Our Nation, Should the Attorney General Be so Focused on Racial Issues?
- Pervasive Apathy about the Things that Really Matter
Are the Kids Eating the Heatlhy Lunches in the Chicago Public School Cafeterias?
I have read several articles that have reported on how the healthier lunch options are working out in the Chicago School System cafeterias. While I only read a few articles it seems the consensus is, the kids are not happy about the food they are being served now.
While no one seemed to track how much food was thrown away before the change, there have been some audits conducted since then and I am sad to say that the kids are throwing away lots of fresh fruit and veggies.
It was also reported that kids buying school lunch has declined and some kids are skipping school lunch and getting a candy bar or some other questionalbly nutritious item to hold them over until they get home.
As usual, the push for health has gone overboard by out lawing the use of salt to prepare most of the food in the cafeterias...they went from super high sodium content in the processed food that they had been getting to no salt. I am not sure I could put a delicious meal on the table without a little salt.
Hopefully the cooks will get a little more creative and the salt ban will be lifted and we will see our kids grow taller not wider as we have over the past couple years.