- Posted July 14, 2011 by
New York, New York
- My spouse is way better at bedtime parenting than I am
- A day in the life of a Las Vegas startup
- #RedRover Twitter Party for Moms On the Go, Wednesday, July 13, 9 p.m. ET
- Oldest bridal shop in the U.S. burns down. Leaves many in Chicago without a dress.
- Fun afternoon at CNN hanging with the iReport team
RedRover, Christy Turlington & Every Mother Counts Support Moms-to-be Around the World
Did you know a woman dies every 90 seconds from complications of pregnancy, but 90 percent of these deaths are preventable?
Championing moms and moms-to-be, RedRover joins up with fashion icon and social activist Christy Turlington Burns and her organization Every Mother Counts in a social good campaign for moms to increase education and support for maternal and child health around the world.
Donations will go towards education and health advocacy support for moms and moms-to-be around the world. Every Mother Counts seeks to engage new audiences to better understand the challenges and the solutions while encouraging them to take action to improve the lives of girls and women worldwide. Everyone can play a role from raising their voice, to dedicating their time to donating their resources.
Five Facts about Maternal & Child Health
• Up to 15 percent of all women who give birth suffer life-threatening complications that, in most cases, can be treated with emergency obstetric care.
• Half of the world’s women give birth at home alone or with only a friend or relative to help. Skilled attendance of all births is considered to be the single most critical intervention for ensuring sage motherhood.
• 20 million of the estimated 210 million who become pregnant each year experience life-threatening complications, many of which occur during the postpartum period. In fact, up to 50 percent of all maternal deaths take place during the first 48 hours after delivery.
• It is estimated that 175,000 women each year could be saved – and many more could avoid severe or long-lasting injuries – if they had access to contraception.
• Globally, an estimated 215 million women would like to delay or avoid pregnancy but do not have access to modern contraceptives. Meeting this need would prevent 53 million unintended pregnancies and 150,000 maternal deaths. Maternal deaths due to unsafe abortion would be reduced by 82 percent.
RedRover Version 2.0 officially launches Thursday, July 14 and is available online at https://www.redroverapp.com/ and via App Store for the iPhone, and is coming to Android soon.