- Posted October 27, 2011 by
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Hurricane season 2011
- Paul, age 55 had a motorcycle accident at age 26 and suffered a serious spinal cord injury, 29 years later he goes snorkeling in Akumal Bay, Mexico.
- Paul, a quadriplegic goes snorkeling 29 years after he sustained a spinal cord injury from a motorcycle accident.
- A feel great story about friendship, love, trust, caring, bravery and innovation.
- Hurricane Ernesto clean up and damage report at Half Moon Bay Akumal, Mexico
- Hurricane Ernesto cleanup has begun at Akumal, Mexico
Hurricane Rina reaches Playa del Carmen, we have lost power, will do comment updates as possible
Playa del Carmen 10/27/2011 6:00 - 7:00 pm
Pic: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Leading edge of hurricane Rina at Playa del Carmen beach area, winds of approx 19 km/h.
Pic: 6 Some businesses still remain open.
Pic: 7, 8, 9 5th Avenue.
Pic: 10 Some street flooding has already started.
Winds and rain have intensified within the last hour after taking these pictures. Considering this is the leading edge and that Rina is still 27 miles away from Playa del Carmen with winds at 60 mph as of 8 pm, it seems apparent that there will be some damage and flooding in the morning.
Update: 9:00 pm winds are getting stronger and lights are starting to flicker, more than likely we will lose power soon.
Update 9:25 Most of Playa has lost power from what I can see,winds intensifying by the minute, I am running the router on a battery pack so the cable company must have power or they too are on a battery back up system. Will continue updating if possible.
Update: 11:15 PM We regained power at 11:00 pm, since around 10:30 it has been very calm and quiet with no rain, thunder, lighting or wind (a very eerie feeling). It has now started to thunder and rain again as I am writing this but no winds, feels like we were just in the eye of a storm and it seems to be starting again still no winds.
Update: 3:55 am All is quiet, seems the worst is behind us.