- Posted December 9, 2011 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Iowa voters: What's your number one issue?
- Seth MacFarlane Talks about Immigration
- Political Shop.com Your One Stop Political Shop was Selling Buttons just Outside Mitt Romney's Campaign Speech In Des Moines
- Michele Bachmann Claims the Debt has Doubled over Past 4.5 Years
- 2D Cel Animation Lady Gaga's Bad Romance Played on Carillon Response Cartoon
- How to Get Rid of a Broken Toilet
How Free Internships are Destroying the Job Market
- dsashin, CNN iReport producer
I didn't have enough time to finish the animation yet with such a short notice, and it is very rough. It's going to talk more about how free internships are negatively affecting the economy, and how they are destroying the job market. I've heard several newly grads around Iowa complaining about the abuse of free internships and the poor job market. This topic can have a very significant play in the upcoming elections.
Free Internships are killing the work force as several students and newly grads are working for free just to get experience in an area. Some companies are running entirely off of free interns swapping them out as new ones come along. As a result, those people aren’t accounted for as unemployed and aren’t getting paid, but they are still killing the job market. In some cases, the students pay the college tuition for the internship so that they can go do industry standard work for free. Multi-million dollar Hollywood productions have been partially produced by free interns. Unemployment rates are actually much higher than statistics show, because none of this existed during the Great Depression.